Are you the type of person who spends a lot of time driving on the highway? If so, you know that there is no way to avoid commercial trucks. These vehicles are everywhere, at all times of the day.
It’s important to understand why truck accidents happen on the highway. The more you know the easier it is to prevent an accident.
Here are some of the top causes of highway truck accidents:
- Reckless driving. Truckers don’t always obey the rules of the road. They speed, weave in and out of traffic, and tailgate others. This type of reckless behavior can lead to a serious accident.
- Inadequate training. There is nothing simple about driving a commercial truck. If a trucker doesn’t have the right training related to safety and technique, an accident could happen.
- Unrealistic schedules. Trucking companies need to be realistic with their schedules. Asking a driver to travel too far in a short period of time can result in speeding and drowsy driving.
- Drowsy driving. There are federal laws in place to help keep tired truck drivers off the road. Even so, some truckers don’t follow the law, but instead remain behind the wheel for too many consecutive hours.
- Distracted driving. Any trucker can become distracted when behind the wheel. This can be the result of texting, talking on a cellphone, adjusting a radio control, or eating or drinking.
As the driver of a passenger vehicle, you should be familiar with the many causes of truck accidents on the highway. This does not guarantee your safety, but it can definitely help.
If you are part of a truck accident, there is a good chance that you will suffer some type of injury. Don’t do anything until police and an ambulance arrive. You want to visit a local hospital for immediate treatment and a thorough examination.
Once you have your health in order, you can learn more about the cause of your accident. In the event that the trucker was at fault, don’t hesitate to understand how you can receive compensation for your injuries and other damages.