I Was In An Accident. What Should I Do?
The aftermath of a serious car accident is both stressful and chaotic. Your life can be turned upside down in an instant. At a time like this, you are probably dealing with medical and insurance issues, in addition to a great deal of pain and discomfort. You may also be thinking about your legal options.
At McKnight and McKnight Law, APC, our attorneys have over 30 years’ experience representing clients injured in motor vehicle accidents. We can provide knowledgeable legal counsel to guide you through the steps to take following an injury.
The Steps To Take After An Accident
The first few days after your accident are crucial for your case. Any mistakes you make now can be difficult to correct later. These are the steps that you should take:
- Attend to the medical needs of anyone injured in the accident. If necessary, call or have someone call an ambulance for emergency medical care.
- Report the accident to the police.
- Don’t make any admissions that could be interpreted as a fault. This includes statements like, “I’m sorry,” which could be taken as admissions of liability.
- Write down the license plate number, name and contact information of the other party involved in the accident. You should also get the names and contact information of any witnesses.
- Have someone take pictures of the accident scene, your vehicle inside and out, and your injuries.
- Obtain medical care even if you do not feel seriously injured. You may not feel the pain of an injury until several days after the accident.
- Report the accident to your insurance company.
- If you are contacted by someone from the other driver’s insurance company, do not sign anything or say anything before speaking to a lawyer.
- Continue your medical care until you have reached maximum medical improvement.
Even a small mistake could drastically reduce the amount of compensation you may recover. For this reason, it is important to seek legal advice as soon as possible.
Get A Free Consultation
We offer a free initial consultation to answer your questions and explain your legal options. If we are handling your personal injury case, we can help you with your vehicle damage claim at no charge. Contact our Bakersfield firm for a free consultation by calling 661-578-5669 or by sending an email.