After An Accident, You Need

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Motor Vehicle Accidents
  4.  » Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Claims

Uninsured Drivers Complicate The Process – We Can Help

There are a significant number of people driving without insurance in California. A much higher number drive with only minimum liability coverage of $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident. If you are seriously injured by a driver who is uninsured or underinsured, you will need to find another source of insurance coverage to pay for your losses. In most cases, this will be your own uninsured motorist “UM” or underinsured motorist “UIM” coverage.

At McKnight and McKnight Law, APC, in Bakersfield, California, we provide vigorous representation in cases involving uninsured and underinsured motorists. Our lawyers handle car accident injury claims throughout the Central Valley.

Call us at 661-578-5669 for a free consultation with an uninsured motorist claim attorney. You can also email us.

Do I Have UM/UIM Coverage?

In California, your insurance agent is required to offer you UM/UIM coverage at a level that is at least equal to your liability coverage. It only makes sense to protect yourself and your family at least as well as you protect other people.

If you don’t have UM/UIM coverage, then the insurance company is required to have a signed document that you declined coverage. If the insurance company can’t produce this document, you have the potential to be covered.

How Does UM/UIM Coverage Work?

When you have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, your insurance company will stand in the shoes of the other party and pay for the same damages the other party’s insurance would have paid. Unfortunately, it will also do things like look for ways to limit your claim or even avoid paying you. It’s important to hire an attorney to protect your rights, just as you would in a claim against another driver’s insurance company.

Will My Insurance Rates Go Up If I File A UM/UIM Claim?

By law, your insurance company cannot raise your rates if you were not at fault for the accident.

We Will Seek The Compensation You Need

To discuss your case with our uninsured motorist lawyers, call 661-578-5669 or fill out the contact form on this website. Your consultation is free.