When the wind picks up, and the rain begins to fall, the last place you want to find yourself is behind the wheel of your car. Unfortunately, this happens frequently because we can’t stop our busy lives due to weather conditions, as much as we’d like to sometimes! As scary as it may be, there are some tips you can follow to drive safely in inclement weather.
If you don’t like the idea of continuing forward when the weather turns, you can always pull off the road and wait for conditions to improve.
Here are three top tips to keep in mind when driving in strong winds:
- Keep both hands on the wheel at all times, as you never know when the wind will gust
- Keep a close watch on large vehicles, such as commercial trucks, as they have a difficult time keeping steady in strong winds
- Slow down, as this makes it easier to control your vehicle
Along with the above, there are additional tips you can follow in torrential rain:
- Be patient, as the faster you drive, the higher chance there is that you will cause an accident
- Turn your lights on, as this makes it easier to see the road ahead (and easier for other drivers to see your vehicle)
- Leave more space between your vehicle and the one in front of you, as it can take longer to stop when the roads are slick
These are just a few of the many things you can do to improve your safety when driving in strong winds and heavy rain.
Unfortunately, even if you take extreme caution, other drivers may not care to do the same. This could lead to a situation in which you are part of an accident.
If this happens, call 911 for immediate help and turn all your attention to your health and well-being. Once you are on the same page as your medical team, you can then consult with your insurance company and learn more about the accident. You need to know which steps you can take to receive compensation for your injuries and any other damages.